Saturday, May 21, 2011

It never ends

Had a deluge first thing this morning. I went out to bring the birds under the pergola only to see water pouring over the bedroom window. Turns out it was on the inside of the window. I toss a box of books onto the bed, preventing them from getting soaked. Just the bottom of the box was wet, books fine. I tell Wing to bring me a towel. He brings me the smallest one in the bathroom. I raised my voice. "Get me a damned towel!" expecting him to get me the thick terry cloth bath sheet.. again a small towel! I push past him, grab my terry cloth bathrobe and shove it onto the windowsill, staunching the flow, and soaking up what was there.

I managed to get a few photos of the streaming water, and sent them to Mark at Hire a Hubby. He came right over, weather be damned! Turned out that one of the downpipes, even though it looked ok from the top, it was rotted underneath, so any water going in there was just flooding under the eaves. It's been fixed. Chances are we will be replacing other downpipes en masse so we don't have to do it piecemeal. They are 25+ yrs old, and have served well.

Water also came into the guest bathroom, and the gyprock is sagging. That repair we can claim back on homeowners insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment